Top 10 Reasons Why Your Music Sounds Mediocre
Here are the top 10 reasons your music sounds like a rough demo and could benefit from hiring a professional mix engineer. You may find yourself:
- Knowing enough to make "decent recordings", but not knowing enough to realize you need help.
- Listening to your friend's feedback on your recordings, instead of pretending your audience is listening for the first time.
- On YouTube too often. Ever wonder why people with no real credentials are offering "pro" advice, everywhere? It's because they don't make money doing what they are offering advice on. #facts
- Having too many plug-ins, and don't know how to use them.
- Never learning about parallel: EQ, Distortion or Compression.
- Believing that a $50 mic sounds the same as a $500/mic with a good amplifier and converters.
- Accepting a hyper-culture of "get it out as fast as possible".
- Using plug-in "presets" for everything you do.
- Setting up your monitors incorrectly in your room.
- Most importantly, not having any passion to LEARN.